Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Where words fail, music speaks

The famous Danish author Hans Christian Andersen once said: "Where words fail, music speaks."

Indeed, it's a powerful quote containing just five brief words. And, yet, it's one that speaks volumes in today's popular culture and society ~ and it goes beyond borders, too.

Music is an every-day part of my life and has been for a very long time. I don't think a day passes by when I don't listen to a least a few hours of music ~ and I share the same enthusiasm for indie, alternative and Americana as I do for jazz and classical. Plus, I have Facebook friends in far reaches of the globe who are turning me on to their favorite house and country music ~ even Turkish, too.

After all, I enjoy listening to music while I write, while I work out at the fitness center, while I drive a car or when I take the commuter rail train from Oakland to San Francisco and back across the Bay. And, I'm very much attached to listening to the "Morning Becomes Eclectic" show daily via KCRW.com and it's 24-hour music stream "Eclectic 24".

Of course, thanks to the modern-day iPod and "smart phones", our favorite music can be at our fingertips 24/7/365 as well as being stored on our laptop or PC via iTunes Library or Amazon.com, too.

Music is everywhere we want it to be.

The bottom line is this: Not only is music everywhere we want it to be, but there's lots of exciting and interesting music worth a good listen. Here's five current songs that recently got my attention that are worth your attention, too:

Birdy: "1901"
Rufus Wainwright: "Montauk"
Lianne La Havas: "No Room For Doubt"
The Shins: "September"
School of Seven Bells: "The Night"

Happy listening!














1 comment: