Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Just sing, little darling, sing with me

The song "Emmylou" is a tribute to country musicians past and present ~ Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons, June Carter and Johnny Cash ~ sung by the Swedish folk duo First Aid Kit. It is just one of many highlights of this young group's recently-released second album, The Lion's Roar. 

The stirring harmonies are truly remarkable and the beautiful-but-woodsy songwriting sensibility of sisters Johanna (b. 1990) and Klara (b. 1993) Söderberg is pure delight.  "Emmylou" is an homage to the lone living survivor, Emmylou Harris, the namesake of the song's title.

"Emmylou" has been described as being about the power of singing with someone you love. The song's poignant chorus speaks lyrically:

"I'll be your Emmylou and I'll be your June,
And you'll be my Gram and my Johnny, too.
No, I'm not asking much of you,
Just sing, little darling, sing with me."

"Emmylou" is emotionally affecting and it's bound to bring a tear to fans of all music genres ~ not just country music. It is pure Americana.

No comments:

Post a Comment