Sunday, September 26, 2010

All Songs Delighted: Heirloom


Never underestimate the value of a tersely written indie-folk song, especially when it's penned and sung so magnificently by Sufjan Stevens.


This marvelous 35-year-old, American singer/songwriter born in Detroit, Mich., whose first name is pronounced soof-yahn, has composed a two-minute 55-second, elegant masterpiece that appears on his recently released All Delighted People EP and is worth a good listen("Heirloom" is available for purchase online via iTunes and as a free mp3 download from Amazon.com). 


My first impression of Stevens and "Heirloom" got me thinking.  How best to describe Stevens and "Heirloom" ...  A multi-talented artist performing a beautiful folk melody on acoustic guitar, singing expressive lyrics in a voice that will remind you of the purity of Simon and Garfunkel circa Bookends (1967).


Spiritual allusions?  Maybe. Or not. 


I first heard "Heirloom" last month on the public radio program, "Morning Becomes Eclectic" via kcrw.com, and perused the show's playlist to find out what song I had just heard.  With all of its simplicity, "Heirloom" definitely caught my attention ~ and, immediately, I knew that I wanted ~ needed ~ to add the song to my iPod.


Happy listening!


(Click on the link below to listen to "Heirloom," or scroll down to sample the entire EP.)



Heirloom By Sufjan Stevens
When your heirloom’s wilted brown
When the devil’s pushing down
When your mourning has a sound
And you hesitate to laugh
How quickly will your joy pass
How quickly will your joy pass

And when you walk inside I feel the door
I’ll never let it push your arms no more
And when your legs give out just lie right down
And I will kiss you till your breath is found
And when you walk inside I feel the door
I’ll never let it push your arms no more

So do you think I came to fight?
And do I always think I’m right?
Oh no I never meant to be a pest to anyone this time
Oh no I only meant to be a friend to everyone this time
From All Delighted People EP, released 08/20/2010
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.



<a href="http://sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com/album/all-delighted-people-ep">All Delighted People EP by Sufjan Stevens</a>












creditsCopyright. All rights reserved.


























licenseAll rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment