Saturday, June 19, 2010
Beautiful sounds for a beautiful game
My interest in music goes hand-in-hand with the World Cup, and reaffirms that good music like good soccer knows no geographic boundaries. While my musical tastes continually evolve, thanks to iTunes, I've discovered there is a wealth of wonderful music being created both within the U.S. and around the world.
As my iPod's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" playlist grows weekly, there's plenty of international sound from individuals and groups whose home countries are competing in the World Cup, and also from from a few countries, like Canada and Sweden, who didn't qualify.
My favorite online music station, kcrw.com (the National Public Radio affiliate based in Santa Monica, Calif.), got into the World Cup spirit recently by putting together a playlist, "Music of the World Cup 2010," that encompasses all 32 countries competing in the tournament. It's worthy of listening to and will definitely expand your music boundaries.
In that same spirit, here's an international playlist of songs on my iPod that I've been listening to lately and highly recommend, with the country of origin in parentheses (*):
* "England" by The National (U.S.) from High Violet
* "Paris Nights/New York Mornings" by Corinne Bailey Rae (England) from The Sea
* "La Gloria" by Gotan Project (based in France, of French, Swiss and Argentine origin) from Tango 3.0
* "In Love and War" by Tina Dico (Denmark) from The Road to Gavlae
* "Grow" by Delorean (Spain) from Subiza
* "Magnificent" by U2 (Ireland) from No Line on the Horizon
* "Amulet" by Luciana Souza (Brazil) from Tide
* "Zebulon" by Rufus Wainwright (Canada) from All Days Are Nights: Songs for Lulu
* "Four by Four" by Shout Out Louds (Sweden) from Work
* "It Is Not Meant to Be" by Tame Impala (Australia) from InnerSpeaker
Indeed, there are plenty of beautiful sounds to enjoy while also enjoying the sport they call the beautiful game. I encourage you to go exploring. The fun and pleasure is in the journey.
(*) All songs on my playlist are available for purchase via iTunes.