Tuesday, February 21, 2012

That bluesy but stirringly soulful voice

Ruthie Foster
Ruthie Foster is an American singer/songwriter of the blues and folk music with impeccable interpretive abilities. She probably isn't a household name with most of you ~ and, I'll admit, I wasn't familiar with Foster's music until hearing a recent feature story about her on National Public Radio's Weekend Edition Saturday.

However, I thought, anyone who can turn the trademark Johnny Cash tune "Ring of Fire" into a slow and soulful crawl until it's virtually unrecognizable is worth my attention. And, she transforms The Band's "It Makes No Difference" into a a very moving spiritual, too.

Although Foster is from a small town in central Texas, there's nothing small about her voice or the way she sings. After all, it's that voice ~ that bluesy but stirringly soulful voice ~ that grabbed my attention and left me wanting to know more about her and her music.

Foster grew up in a family of gospel singers and her voice brings to mind both Aretha Franklin and Ella Fitzgerald. Her 2009 album, The Truth According to Ruthie Foster was nominated for a Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album. Her new album of originals and covers, Let It Burn, intersperses blues, soul, gospel and rock, and on it, she collaborates with the legendary gospel group The Blind Boys of Alabama.

Among the many songs that stand out on Let It Burn is "Lord Remember Me." It's a song Foster wrote while touring. Initially, "Lord Remember Me" turned into a song that she sang before going on stage. "It was a prayer to me," she recalled in an interview about the making of Let It Burn.

On Let It Burn, Foster passionately sings "Lord Remember Me" with with supporting vocals by The Blind Boys of Alabama.

Oh, Lord remember me 
Remember me
Oh, Lord remember me
Please remember me
When these chains are broken
Set my body free
Oh, Lord remember me
Remember me.

Hey, Lord I call Your name
I call Your name
Hey, Lord I call Your name
I call Your name
Hey, Lord can't see right from wrong
Hey, Lord I call Your name.

Got me on to do Your will
Got me on to do Your will
When trouble rules me
Keep me standing still
Got me on to Your will.

Oh, Lord remember me
Oh, Lord remember me
When chains are broken
Set my spirit free
Oh, Lord remember me
When these chains are broken
Set my spirit free
Oh, Lord remember me.

"It's sisters sitting in the church, sitting in the 'Amen Corner'," says Foster, reflecting upon "Lord Remember Me". "They've got their hats; they've got their fans, and all you hear are the voices and the high heels stomping on the floor.

"It's a prayer and, hopefully, a lot more."

To listen to the NPR interview with Ruthie Foster: 

To listen to "Lord Remember Me":

No comments:

Post a Comment