Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My songs eclectic ~ the playlist

I am a devoted listener of the music program "Morning Becomes Eclectic" which airs weekdays from 9 a.m. -noon (PT) on KCRW-FM, the NPR affiliate in Santa Monica, Calif. and via the Internet on kcrw.com. Also, I keep an ear pressed to "Eclectic 24" ~ kcrw.com's companion to "MBE" ~ which is the station's 24-hour music channel that blends the collective tastes of all of the KCRW DJs into one single voice. I have the Internet to thank for what commercial radio doesn't choose to provide ~ eclectic, cutting-edge music.

My gratitude goes out to Jason Bentley, the host of "Morning Becomes Eclectic" and his predecessor, Nic Harcourt, for helping shape my current indy pop/indy rock/world music "eclectic" taste which has evolved over the past couple of years. I've always been fairly open-minded ~ always appreciative of certain kinds of pop and rock as well as jazz, alternative and reggae (for those who remember me as a college DJ). And, occasionally, I enjoy listening to classical piano concertos while relaxing at home. Hey, I'm a believer that life goes better with music.

Now, thanks to iTunes, I have been amassed an ever-growing playlist of over 500 songs that I heard through regular listening of "Morning Becomes Eclectic" and "Eclectic 24" ~ songs in the key of life. Thanks to "MBE", I've become tuned to the sounds of Vampire Weekend, Koop, Sigur Ros, Neko Case, Calexico, Pink Martini, Tina Dico and the Swell Season, among many ~ all who produce a brand of very enjoyable, melodic and hip music that's not only easy on the ear, but also none of it very likely to find its way onto commercial radio anytime soon. Too bad for commercial radio ~ great for kcrw.com and public radio listeners.

10 songs I have been listening to on my iPod this week:
1. "Tel que tu es" by Charlotte Gainsbourg from 5:55.
2. "Sing Sang Sung" by AIR from Love 2.
3. "Two by Two" by Animal Kingdom from Signs and Wonders.
4. "And Now We Sing" (featuring Holly Brook) by Duncan Sheik from Whisper House.
5. "Swim Until You Can't See Land" by Frightened Rabbit from Swim Until You Can't See Land.
6. "Boa Sorte (Good Luck)" by Vanessa Da Mata and Ben Harper from Hotel Costes, Vol. 11.
7. "White Sky" by Vampire Weekend from Contra.
8. "Alone" by The Morning After Girls from Alone.
9. "You and I" by Wilco from Wilco (The Album).
10. "Debra" by Beck from Midnite Vultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment